For this piece it was my first time ever painting a waterfall
and it was quite a challenge. I was inspired by a picture I saw and decided
that I must turn it into a painting. I was so nervous that I would mess it up
so I started with the surrounding trees which was a more familiar technique to
me. After a day or so I applied a green wash to the waterfall area and then I
got so excited that I started to apply the white paint for the falling water
over it. After I applied the white my excitement faded away and turned into
disappointment, so much so that I washed out all my brushes and packed the
painting aside for another time. I gave the technique some serious thought
before I went to bed that day and attended to the painting the next morning. I
know what you are thinking but no, I did not succeed at making to waterfall
look like the one in the picture I was following nor did I the time after that
and for each time I had a failed attempt I brushed over the main areas with
some white paint which was starting to create a build up on the canvas. So
after about 5 or 6 failed attempts and several layers of paint I finally got it
right but still it was missing something, maybe a little character. That’s
where the gold paint came in and when I stepped back and looked at it I felt
like I made a great accomplishment. Viewers tend to think that artists have
everything all worked out but little do they know that we struggle to find a
technique that is suitable to the individual. What are some of your struggles
as an artist?
Follow Art Connect on Facebook
Follow Art Connect on Facebook

I am not an artist, maybe I was in secondary school but all that is now gone. I'm not very creative at all.
ReplyDeleteYou could break this post up using paragraphs, but all in all, your account of learning and using the new method is interesting.
ReplyDelete