This acrylic painting of what I
would consider a perfect beach day was done as one of my SBA pieces and it was
done in a bit of a hurry to meet a deadline, so here’s what happened. Being the
good, creative art student that I was my teacher asked me to help decorate the
school hall for a ceremony that was to take place the next day while my
painting was also due the next day (the one I barely started). I stayed back
after school and decorated the hall anyway and I probably left there about 6pm
and what was usually a 15 minute walk to my house turned into a 10 minute jog/
power walk. As if things weren’t bad enough when I reached home there was no
current but I had to finish the painting and it was already getting dark so I
had to paint by candlelight. So there I was feeling like Leonardo Da Vinci with
the candles surrounding the canvas but then I realized that the colours weren’t
looking the same as in daylight and I wasn’t sure if I was mixing the right
colours but I carried on anyway because I had o get it done. Current eventually
came back at some late hour during the night and I didn’t finish till 1am. I
was cutting it kind of close, barely got any sleep but I got it done and went
to school to submit it to my teacher. However, when I did she told me she would
give me an extension because I stayed back to decorate the hall. As you can
imagine I was all kinds of cross but it was an interesting experience to paint
by candle light and I would do it again for the sake of my passion. What are
some of the challenges you faces while trying to finish a piece?
where's the like button
ReplyDeleteI haven't painted/drawn anything in a long time but when I did the challenge I had was that I never knew how to or when to finish. I was always searching for this perfection until I stumbled upon this quote that made me feel less anxious about it Lol
ReplyDelete"I never finish a painting -- I just stop working on it for a while." -- Arshile Gorky.
I am guilty of not finishing a few paintings but one thing that helped me was creating deadlines and finding the best time of the day (mood wise) for painting/ drawing. I like to wake up around 7am, have breakfast then do nothing else but paint then around midday I would put down the paint and get my other work done. It helps to have a routine. By the way I like the quote
ReplyDelete