Wednesday, 19 February 2014

The Carnival Rush


Till Dawn by Candice




Its good to read the papers because you never know what you may find and I was fortunate enough to be browsing through a newspapers when I came across an ad asking artists to submit pieces of their work for a Carnival exhibition held by the Art Society and the National Carnival Commission. When I looked at the deadline and glanced at my calendar I realize time was going to be an issue but I know opportunities like this don’t pass by very often so I put everything else on hold and began to work on ideas for my paintings. Yes I say paintings because I initially wanted to submit no less than two but I ran into some problems. After I made my sketches and began on painting number one I got frustrated that it wasn’t coming out as I would have liked it to so I rolled up the canvas and took a day off from painting. On my day off I scampered for more canvas and went out to buy more paint as I was running low on certain colours.

The next morning I got up early and began to put my fingers to the canvas (because I finger paint) and I liked the way things were going with this one. Things were going so well I was nervous of messing it up so I was working slower that usual and I still had to buy and cut wood to stretch the canvas on. This meant that I submitted my painting later than I wanted to and yes it turned out to be just one painting but it was my first painting in about two years and it’s the first to be in an exhibition. I felt like I accomplished some small task on my To Do list and my next step would be to host a full exhibition with all my pieces. My work is one of many in the ‘Many People, One Carnival’ visual arts exhibition at The Art Society headquarters in Federation Park. To catch a glimpse at some of the pieces check out the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment