Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Going Mono and Moody




This particular piece was first done in chalk pastel. I would admit I was a young teenager going through another phase and watching The Note Book over and over but that’s how I got inspired by one of the scenes. There was nothing but that rich orange and shadows of everything else. It was tranquilizing yet mysterious because I couldn’t see who was on the boat. That scene became my first monochromatic piece and I enjoyed every moment of rubbing the orange pastel onto the paper. When I was done I sprayed it well with my fixative but when I dug it up about a year later it was fading and I could not bear to just throw it out because it reminded me of another phase in my life.

In honor of this I grabbed a small canvas board and began to relive the memories of what inspired me to paint it in the first place. I never did any painting twice because I fear that it will not come out the same and I would ruin the originality and I would never have the same creative spark that I had while doing the first one but this one felt different. It felt nice to go down memory lane and although it wasn’t the same sparks I felt like I was preserving piece of my history. I know we all keep a piece we did during a phase, what was your experience like?  

Like Art Connect on Facebook for more updates  

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Candice. The second one looks cleaner, but there's something that seems more natural about the lighting in the first one. Or probably it's because it's faded a bit.

    ReplyDelete