Thursday, 17 April 2014

Motivation for the Mystery Lady




This piece is chalk pastel on paper (from a regular sketch pad to be exact). I was young and the hour given for the lunch break in school was all mine to fill. Knowing this I flipped through a magazine and came across a watch ad with this scene in the background and I decided to challenge myself to do this piece in chalk pastel and believe me I didn’t know how challenging it would be until I started. Now when I start something I have a tendency to not finish it because an artist’s feelings for the piece in front of them can sometimes take a roller coaster ride.

So after a week or so of working on the piece I lost the zeal for the challenge which resulted in me tucking away the drawing for about eight months. I stumbled across it while I was sorting through my sketch pads and found it to be in very good condition. Sometimes we need a bit of motivation so after giving myself a pep talk and a pat on the back I sat down day after day and drew in every leaf and every crack on the sanctuary until it was finally coming to an end. When I got around to the mystery lady I realize that the chalk pastels were too big to get the job done so I resorted to using colour pencils which took me back a few years (one can never get too big for colour pencils and crayons). 

Like Art Connect on Facebook for updates and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment