Wednesday, 23 April 2014

The Hand That Burns



We have all heard the term by now ‘reducing your footprints’ well this piece focuses on our handprints. During the dry season although authorities advise citizens against burning their ruble they still do anyway and then we may end up with a wild fire. A simple thing as dropping a lit cigarette in the bush can destroy everything that mother nature has spent building for years. This piece is a plaster paris mixture with my hand print in the center. It’s my first time experimenting with this media and I had to work fast as it began to harden the moment I finish mixing. I then held my hand in place for about 5 minutes then slowly removed my palm to allow the piece to finish dry. When time came to paint it I did not have an objective in mind but as I painted the hand in red I was inspired to do something I feel strongly about. The hand represents the fire and around it is the greenery that is being burnt by a fire started of the human hand.   




No comments:

Post a Comment