Monday, 14 April 2014

I’m A Keeper



Before you go off thinking about relationships, ‘keeper’ in this context is just a nicer way of saying I’m a hoarder. About 5 years back my neighbor was giving away one of those corridor curtains with strings of wooden beads the length of a door. She turned to me and ask me if I want it because everyone knows I’m a keeper and I gladly accepted. At the time I had no idea what I was going to do with all those beads but I sat down and patiently took each bead off the curtain and put it in a bag for storage. A few weeks ago my mother threatened to throw it away so I took the bag and decided to make a portrait of a humming bird hovering by a flower.

It was going well, I knew what I wanted to do but coming closer to the end I got into some difficulty sticking beads into small spaces but I made do. When it was done I was told that the bird wasn’t easy to decipher from the background so I decided to put another row of beads just over the bird so that it literally popped. For the frame I thought that any neutral colour would just blend in so I used blue which compliments the wooden beads and then I decorated it with more beads and bamboo because there just wasn’t enough on the inside. This is proof that ‘one man’s trash is another man’s treasure’.      

Like Art Connect on Facebook for updates and more. 


1 comment: